Remington R2Mi 50 BMG Bolt-Action Rifle
Written by Guest Contributor,
in Section Gun Reviews
Amidst the doldrums of quarantine, Remington has positioned themselves to release a NEW .50 Cal with the Remington R2Mi 50 BMG bolt-action rifle! This rifle is set to be produced out of their Sturgis, South Dakota facility and is meant to replace the Bushmaster .50 BMG which was a part of their portfolio of rifles before. According to Remington, this rifle is going to be a “build-to-order” firearm so it is not something that is part of their standard catalog of products. You could essentially throw it into the category of a Custom Shop rifle.
At the moment, this is not something you can currently call them up and request, but it should be available this coming fall under the concept of “build-to-order.” So, for the time being for all of our .50 BMG lovers in the reading audience, it is simply something we can salivate over and decide whether it is worth jumping in on. All of the specifications for the Remington R2Mi .50 BMG bolt-action rifle can be read below as presented by Remington:
- Bolt action: left bolt / right port, for faster cycling of action
- Lothar Walther® barrel free-floated within vented hand guard
- Lower receiver machined from T6-6061 aluminum billet
- MIL-STD 1913 rail on receiver and vented hand guard
- Hard anodized type 3 green finish on aluminum parts (Mil-Spec)
- Manganese phosphate finish on steel parts
- Magpul PRS Gen 3 adjustable buttstock
- Equipped with AAC Cyclops muzzle brake to accept AAC’s Cyclops silencer
- ErgoGrip Deluxe Tactical pistol grip
- Steel bipod with folding legs
- Disassembles like an AR-type rifle for cleaning and maintenance
- Ships in custom Pelican™ Storm deployment case with two 10- round magazines, bipod, eye and ear protection and cable lock
The spec list has a lot of familiar manufacturers in the industry on it from a Magpul stock to an AAC muzzle brake and even a Pelican hard case. Probably the most intriguing aspect of the entire rifle aside from its thunderous cartridge is the left-hand bolt and right-hand port design. Further information surrounding the NEW R2Mi from Remington can be read below in their Press Release:
From its match-grade chamber out, the R2Mi is built to shatter all previous expectations for long-range accuracy. A free-ﬂoated barrel, with 1:15” twist and 8-groove riﬂing is perfectly suited for harnessing sub-MOA accuracy from the .50 BMG. And its left-hand operated, right-hand eject bolt-action and 10-round box magazine, ensure comfortable cycling with no need for the shooter to adjust position. The R2Mi is also one of the simplest .50-caliber riﬂes to assemble and maintain. Its upper receiver locks to the lower receiver with two integral pins, and its full-length Picatinny rail accommodates a wide range of optics.
At an MSRP of $4,599, it is an interesting rifle, to say the least. While the .50 BMG cartridge is not exactly wildly popular or the darling round of the industry, it does have a strong following even still. For all of our BMG lovers out there, what do you think? Is this something you would be willing to get behind and launch some rounds with at the price-point of $4.6K?
This article first appeared on The Firearm Blog
Please Support Our Spokesperson Kristina the Curvy Patriot with her new Instagram Account and "LIKE" her page!